Solo dye party!

Decided it was beyond time to dye my white wool/nylon blend recycled sweater, so busted out the kniddy-knoddy and the Easter egg dyes my boss gave me. Had a brief “oh shit” moment when I realized we didn’t have any vinegar, but that was quickly remedied by a trip to Aldi (I’m not *always* to lazy to go to the store).

The initial plan was to mix up a brown dye and knit John a hat. Yeah… red + green = brown is all well and good, but I started with a blue base (left over from my previous dyeing project – the “Tweet” yarn -> Ravelry link) figuring if I mixed enough colors together I’d end up with brown. And then I couldn’t tell 100% percent what color tablet I was dropping into my jar of dye since I was mixing it all together in one jar (this was all while the yarn sat in a vinegar/water bath).

I ended up mixing up two different sets of dye. I thought I was happy with the first set (it looked to be a very very dark teal/green/grey or something). Figured it would be suitable-enough for John. For this one I think I used tablets for purple, either red or orange and green. Dumped it into the pot, stirred, and moved the hank around. Let it sit for a bit (maybe 5-10 minutes? Dunno, didn’t really think to look at the clock). At this point the yarn looked pretty awesome, though different than I expected. It was a dusky light pinkish purple with a few blotches of a dusky teal.

But I was still kind aiming for brown, so I made the second mix, that was definitely of red and orange, and dumped that into the pot, while holding the hank out (with a fork) and stirred. Let that sit. It ended up in the dye bath for maybe about an hour total (again, wasn’t too good at the checking of the time, so that’s a vague estimate).

The whole thing ended up kind of mediumish brown-purpleish, with small variations into very slightly more pinkish, areas of a slightly greyer color (where I had poured in the first dye mix), and a couple tiny patches of teal-ish, (mostly under my ties… note to self – tie looser!). I must say it’s some of the strangest looking yarn I’ve ever seen! I’m thinking of calling the colorway “Atomic Dusk” — it’s kind-of-almost dusky colored, but muddier and just slightly wtf.



Right before I ended up taking the first hank out, I added the second. I decided halfway through the dyeing of the first hank to make a matching/coordinating hank (since at this point I was positive it was going to come out a color John wouldn’t wear, so wanted more yarn so as to make myself something larger than a hat). Except… I forgot about dye exhaustion. The only color left in the pot was a very pale teal (and apparently a tiny bit of pink, as I discovered after rinsing the first hank and starting the second re-dyeing – it had a few little blotches of it). I was going to use all of the rest of my dye tablets, but then decided green (which was what the brownish looking tab was) and blue only would be better. Purposefully using the technique I accidentally used the first time, the blue dye went into the center of the pot and the green went around the outside, and I didn’t stir much, only enough to make sure the dye got into the still clear part of the water. Let it soak for about an hour, until the dye was just about exhausted (*again* forgot to note exact times, even after realizing I should have the first time through today).

The second hank is a bright green to blue variegation (much more green than blue, unfortunately) with the blue more towards the center of the hank, with some tiny patches of pink (see above) and some slightly larger patches of white (thanks to the ties again and the fact that the yarn wasn’t actually soaked before dyeing it *and* that I didn’t stir it much). This one will probably be called “Tipsy Mermaid” – had a couple of beers during the whole process, and the mermaid part was the obvious choice for a green-blue.



Aside from the general dyeing lessons I learned today, I definitely was taught to not have an exact color in mind, as it’s not going to come out like I expect until I’m *much* more experienced! And working with a blend makes that even more so.

And on a slightly different, but related, note, a friend’s girlfriend has some cotton dye I can probably have (not much, but still), so I might actually be able to dye some of these pale green cotton sometime in the foreseeable future! It would be nice to have market bags that weren’t all solid pale green. I’m maybe 1/2 – 2/3 through the first one and I’m already a bit sick of the color and I will probably have enough of this yarn left to make 3-4 more.

(And just for the record, I first typed this up while dyeing the second hank and while they were both drying, so I ended up having to change the descriptions of their colors numerous times. And the colors will probably change a little more before everything’s said and done. Just, you know, FYI.)

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Solo dye party!”

  1. They look great! I especially like the green/blue yarn. One of these days I’ll get off my arse and dye the yarns I’ve got.

  2. I found you blog. Go me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: